Monday, November 24, 2014

Finch Identification

Someone posted this on Carolina Birds on Facebook.  He photoshopped it to put all these types of finches on it.  I'm sorry I do not know whom to give proper credit to.

Supposedly we may get siskins and purple finches this year.  I haven't seen a purple finch in twenty years - it would be a joy to have some at our feeder.

Roger Tory Peterson always said that a purple finch (lower left in picture) looks like it is dipped in raspberry juice.  That's a perfect description of that little bird.  The house finch is more red/orange, and its red is restricted to face/front and rump.  The color is more distributed on the purple finch.

I do not think I would be able to distinguish the difference in the female purple and female house finches.

I would love to get siskins and purple finches this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment