Saturday, February 13, 2021

Trail Mix and Bird Feed


You would think I would learn my lesson. 

I know from years of feeding birds that most of the species I desire in our yard come best when offered plain black oil sunflower seed.  But no, I can’t be satisfied, and have to get fancy and try new things.  This time it almost cost me a husband.

 

Mike likes to snack on trail mix when he is working at our farm.  The stuff I buy for him is a big purple bag full of peanuts, shelled sunflower seeds, and chocolate pieces.  Recently I noticed another variety in a darker-colored bag - various nuts, peanuts, and dried cranberries.  I thought that this mixture might attract some different birds if mixed 50-50 with their black oil seed.  So I bought both kinds - Mike’s and the birds’.  I put Mike’s bag (which was the color that he was accustomed to) on the garage table, and reminded him to take it to the farm.  I then created my ill-conceived mixture for the birds, and put it in its darker-colored bag high on the garage shelf.  

 

Now, black oil seeds for birds are less refined than sunflower seeds processed for human consumption.  The birds’ version has unsalted shells, and often contains various forms of sticks, stones, and other bits of this and that, which never get sorted out.  The birds don’t care - they just throw the refuse to the ground with their beaks as they look for the good stuff. So the contents of the bird bag mixture were a little rough.

 

Well, I did not take into account Mike’s height, and the fact that he might more easily see the birds’ bag up high, and overlook his on the garage table.

 

You have now deduced what happened.  

 

Mike came home that night.  My sister was visiting and we were chatting after supper.  And then Mike, who did not know about my little project, announced: “By the way, what was that you sent with me?  It was terrible!! I felt like I was eating sticks. Do not EVER buy that trail mix again!”  In horror I realized what had happened.  There wasn’t much I could do but admit that yes, he really was eating sticks, as well as other stuff not meant for him or any other humans.  And then we all had a good laugh.  At least my sister and I did.

 

The final piece to this sad saga is that the birds didn’t even like the fancy new mixture.  I finally dumped it out in the yard.  Maybe some creature will come along who likes creativity in his food, but I’m not even hopeful about that.

 

The birds are back to eating the plain seed that they like best.  I think Mike has forgiven me.  I just hope he doesn’t start to chirp. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment